Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Once More Unto the Breach


Brenham, Texas

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

At the end of two plus days of driving I'm back in familiar territory, in the motor home in Walmart parking lot, as the sun sinks over the trees here in the heart of Texas. I've hooked up the car and driven to near the end point of tomorrow's walk. The brakes work and the engine runs smoother than it has for two or three months. My amateur tune-up did some good after all, especially after Tommy put the wires in the right order on the distributor cap. (Live and learn; that was an eighty-five dollar mistake on my part). Inside the refrigerator is restocked and everything is put away. Slowly my small dwelling becomes my home again. It's like going back to a dorm room, or maybe a cell in a minimum security federal prison.

Comments appear again on the blog, a pleasant sight, even though I wouldn't have predicted the current topic. But I welcome them all.

Hope everyone is ready to do some walking tomorrow. I anticipate sore feet by the end of the day. It takes practically no time at all to get out of shape.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. . . .
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood. . . .
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot.

--Shakespeare, Henry V

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonne marche! And thanks for the progress map : I'd been wondering why you weren't posting it up anymore.
C